15+ highlights of 15th Ravenswood ArtWalk, Sept. 10-11
For the 15th year, the popular Ravenswood ArtWalk offers visitors a “Tour of Arts and Industry,” showcasing one of Chicago’s most diverse and vibrant communities of ‘makers.’ Equal part arts market, open house, gallery hop and outdoor festival, the Ravenswood ArtWalk takes place along the historic Ravenswood Creative Corridor, from Leland Avenue to Irving Park Road, Saturday & Sunday, September 10 & 11, 2016, from 11am-6pm (rain or shine).
This year’s event will feature over 300 artists displaying their work across nearly 50 venues, including open galleries and studios, private industrial spaces and collections. At the center of this year’s Tour of Arts & Industry is the RAW Artist Market, which runs along Ravenswood Avenue between Berteau and Belle Plaine Avenues. The outdoor market will feature over 40 artists and artisans, as well as two stages of live music, the return of Begyle Brewing’s urban craft beer garden, a selection of snacks from some of Chicago’s finest food trucks, as well as a children’s corner where guests can find family-friendly entertainment and activities.
Among 15+ highlights of the 15th Ravenswood ArtWalk are:
- A rare opportunity to visit one of the most historic – and unique – businesses in Ravenswood: Century Mallet Instrument Service under Master Tuner Andres Bautista provides repairs and tuning for mallet percussion instruments in the century-old Deagan Building, 1770 W. Berteau. The Ravenswood ArtWalk weekend is the only time the workshop is open to the public, who can observe all manner of percussive instruments and tools, as well as archival photos of the building. http://www.centurymallet.com/
- Located next door to each other at 4527 N. Ravenswood are DEFY MFG. Co. & Lucila’s Homemade Alfajores who not only share a wall but also a talent for handmade goods. Pop by to check out DEFY’s selection of high end leather bags and accessories, before indulging in delicious homemade Argentinian pastries at Lucila’s (known to be a favorite of Chef Rick Bayless). http://defybags.com/
- For the second year, Big Teeth Productions screens its 60 Second Film Festival, in which each of the participating filmmakers has created a short inspired by a famous work of art. The entire festival can be viewed in less than ten minutes, after which guests are invited to vote for their favorite film, and visit other ArtWalk participants at the centrally located Manz Corporation Building, 4043 N. Ravenswood. http://bigteeth.tv/
- Free group dance lessons courtesy of Ballroom Dance Chicago with ballroom, swing and salsa instruction every half hour from 3:30-6pm at their studio, 4039 N. Ravenswood. http://www.ballroomdancechicago.com/
- An ArtWalk veteran, Bill Bartelt is a watercolor master and will offer watercolor lessons and workshops from his studio at 4659 N. Ravenswood. http://www.billbartelt.com/
- Back by popular demand, lounge singer Mike Maimone plays some mean barroom piano and performs at the Ravenswood/Berteau parking lot Saturday evening. https://mikemaimone.bandcamp.com/album/open-mic-nights-empty-bottle-mornings
- Award winning landscape painter Didier Nolet will be showing his work at Mather & Sullivan Architectural Products’ new show space at 1801 W Belle Plaine. http://www.didiernolet.com/
- Notebaert Nature Museum Warehouse – Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum/Chicago Academy of Sciences opens its warehouse at 4001 N Ravenswood to show off rare and unseen items from its extensive collection. http://www.naturemuseum.org/
- Musician and Ravenswood-native Dan Rico performs in support of his debut record release (on Maximum Pelt records) at the Midwest Action Stage on Sunday afternoon. https://danrico.bandcamp.com/releases
- One of the oldest and largest providers of recovery services for people living with mental illnesses in Illinois, Thresholds hosts a pop up gallery within the RAW Artist Market supporting and showcasing the one-of-a-kind artwork of its art therapy participants. These talented artists both receive the therapeutic benefits and gain vocational training, earning 100% of the proceeds for their work. http://www.thresholds.org/
- Viva Vintage Clothing opens its studio at 4222 N. Ravenswood for a rare public viewing of its vintage clothing collection dating from the 1930-1970s http://www.vivavintageclothing.com/
- The beloved Lillstreet Art Center art school and gallery hosts an open house at 4401 N. Ravenswood, including the sameceramics studiohttp://lillstreet.com/faculty-page/536 and Rebecca Zemans Jewelry http://rebeccazemans.com/
- The Chicago Mosaic School opens its doors at 1806 W. Cuyler to showcase its mosaic art school, gallery and supply store at http://www.chicagomosaicschool.com/
- The large-scale fiber sculptures of Kris Clemons Fiber Works will be on display at 4401 N. Ravenswood
- Plus….open house tours of 4500 Artists, All Saints’ Episcopal Church, Alibi Fine Art, Architectural Artifacts, Ars Memoria, Artifact Events, Awakenings Foundation, Begyle Brewing, Blackbird Gallery & Framing, brave lux inc., Chex Studio, Chicago Glass Collective, Dovetail Brewery, Earthly Aromas, Hayes Properties Marketplace, Images Gallery, Julius Meinl, Lincoln Square Pottery Studio, Make 26/m26 Studio, Manifold, Mata Traders, Mr. & Mrs. DIGZ, Ork Posters, Platform Co-working, Ravenswood Fellowship United Methodist Church, Rebecca Zemans Jewelry, Richard Stromberg’s Chicago Photography Classes, Studio 505: Laurie Shaman & Nancy Hall, Tam Wim, Wellbeing Personalized Healthcare, and Vagabond School of the Arts.
The Ravenswood ArtWalk is co-presented by the Greater Ravenswood Chamber of Commerce and the Ravenswood Community Council. Other sponsors include SSA #31, Thresholds, Begyle Brewing, SMB Help Desk and Midwest Action.
The Ravenswood ArtWalk is free and open to the public; there is a suggested donation of $5 for the outdoor RAW Artist Market. For more information, please visit http://ravenswoodartwalk.org/ or call 773-975-2088.