Taos, New Mexico was ranked the top August destination by USA Today 10 Best. "August…
TAOS ART MUSEUM AUGUST EVENTS
August in Taos is one of the best times of the year to explore our Museums, each highlighting the unique people and artwork that make Taos a premier art and cultural destination. As a walking town, coupled with our cool summer weather, we are the perfect vacation spot to explore inside and out!
- Taos Art Museum at Fechin House: NOW – SEPTEMBER 21 — Intimate and International: The Art of Nicolai Fechin; taosartmuseum.org. For an artist who met with international success early in his career and maintained a lifelong reputation as one of the finest portrait artists of his time, Nicolai Ivanovich Fechin (1881 – 1955) was an extremely private, retiring man. His emotive, vivid, and idiosyncratic art is based on a very personal frame of reference, even at its most academic. Through a selection of approximately 25 paintings and 30 drawings, set in the historic house that Fechin himself designed and ornamented, Intimate and International: The Art of Nicolai Fechinhighlights the contrast between the world-wide experience of the artist and the personal character of his art—whether the loving, gestural portrayals of his sitters, still lifes, and landscapes, or the exquisite home he hand-crafted for his small family in Taos, New Mexico.
- Harwood Museum of Art: MAY 17 – SEPTEMBER 7 — Highlights from the Gus Foster Collection; harwoodmuseum.org. In 2013 collector, connoisseur,and longtime Harwood Museum of Art supporter Gus Foster donated a remarkable collection of 391 works of contemporary art by 83 artists to the Museum. This summer the Harwood Museum of Art will celebrate that extraordinary gift by exhibiting 121 works from the collection and publishing a 96-page full-color catalog featuring an essay by Evan M. Maurer, Director Emeritus of the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. The Gus Foster Collection, distinguished by its quality, focus, and depth, is unsurpassed in the number of iconic works created by contemporary artists working in the acclaimed art colony of Taos, New Mexico. The many prominent East and West Coast artists represented in this gift – including Larry Bell, Lynda Benglis, Vija Celmins, Ron Cooper, Ron Davis and Ken Price – speak to the strong connection that Taos has long had with the national and international art worlds. In particular, the collection explores in depth the Taos-Los Angeles contemporary art connection. Professionally trained docents will lead tours of Highlights from the Gus Foster Collection at 1 PM every Sunday while the exhibition is on view.
- Millicent Rogers Museum: AUGUST 1, 2014 – JANUARY 31, 2015 — Fred Harvey and the Making of the American West; millicentrogers.org. Fred Harvey and the Fred Harvey Company in many ways created the images that most Americans have of the American West. Whether through postcards, books, jewelry and more, the name Fred Harvey became synonymous with all things west of Kansas! This unique exhibit featuring items borrowed from the family of Fred Harvey will tell the story of the company that made the west! Special highlights include:
- Maria Martinez and Nampeyo – Native American pottery artists whose careers were heavily influenced by their time working for Fred Harvey.
- Fred Harvey jewelry from private collections illustrating the range and diversity of the work produced for and sold by Fred Harvey retail shops.
- The role of the railroad along with Fred Harvey creating images of the West. Come and see our train layout just as children in the 1950 – 60’s would have seen on Christmas morning.
The Museum Association of Taos (MAT)
The Museum Association of Taos (MAT) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit association of five separate museums whose unique historic buildings and exceptional collections present the art, history, and culture of Taos and northern New Mexico. Our member museums include the Taos Art Museum at Fechin House, the Millicent Rogers Museum, the Harwood Museum of Art, and the Taos Historic Museums, comprising the E.L. Blumenschein Home and La Hacienda de los Martinez.
MAT Super Ticket: Five Museums. One Ticket. All Taos.
Through our MAT Super Ticket, we offer the best value in Taos. For just $25, the discounted combination pass is good for one visit to each of our five Taos museums. The MAT Super Ticket will be honored for one full year from the date of purchase, and it’s transferable. The MAT Super Ticket may be passed on to another person if the original owner doesn’t have time to visit all of our museums.